[Virtualacorn-list] Slow computer response

Brian Carroll briancarroll at f2s.com
Fri Oct 2 19:49:31 BST 2009

In article
<gemini.kqw2e5002ryk701ac at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>, Jeremy
Nicoll - virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> When VRPC is running, at the lower righthand corner of the
> enclosing frame(*) there's a display of how fast the emulation
> is running (Mips etc). It's worth getting used to keeping an
> eye on that.  If it's a good high number you know that the
> VRPC application is getting sufficient cpu time etc from
> Windows; if it's a low figure then nothing will work properly.

Useful tip, thanks.  What do you regard as a 'good high number'?
I generally get 1.00 to 3.00Mips on a similar machine (desktop)
to Keith's, with RISC OS 6.10. VirtualRPC is not particularly
slow but I dislike using it because the pointer is quite 'sticky'
compared with the Windows pointer.

> * I don't run VRPC full-screen, but instead inside a window
> that extends to about 95% of the overall screen.  ... etc

I do the same.

> Remember that if you Ctrl-Alt-Del while VRPC is running you
> should get the windows task manager to pop up.  Sometimes
> that's the only way I can wrest control back (and get the
> windows mouse pointer again).

This does not work for me. I get an immediate 'Internal error:
abort on data transfer ... error code 283' in VirtualRPC :-(
However Ctrl/Shft/Esc does work.

Brian.