[Virtualacorn-list] Slow computer response

Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri Oct 2 21:21:28 BST 2009

Brian Carroll <briancarroll at f2s.com> wrote:

> Useful tip, thanks.  What do you regard as a 'good high number'?

It goes up to 70-100 every so often usually only for one or 'tics', then
back down again (which makes me think that might be a flaw in the
calculation).   Perhaps 20-40 when VRPC is responsive, but only 1 or 2 when
it's like a dog.

This is on a laptop with AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8GHz and 1 GB RAM.  I run an SA
emulation and RO 4.39 though that shouldn't affect the Mips count.  I also
have the (LCD) laptop screen running at 30fps since it's a total waste of
time running it at a higher rate.

When Mips < 1 there's no point in trying to do anything at all...

VRPC is faster than my old SA RPC was.

> I generally get 1.00 to 3.00Mips on a similar machine (desktop)
> to Keith's, with RISC OS 6.10. VirtualRPC is not particularly
> slow but I dislike using it because the pointer is quite 'sticky'
> compared with the Windows pointer.
>
> > * I don't run VRPC full-screen, but instead inside a window
> > that extends to about 95% of the overall screen.  ... etc
>
> I do the same.
>
> > Remember that if you Ctrl-Alt-Del while VRPC is running you
> > should get the windows task manager to pop up.  Sometimes
> > that's the only way I can wrest control back (and get the
> > windows mouse pointer again).
>
> This does not work for me. I get an immediate 'Internal error:
> abort on data transfer ... error code 283' in VirtualRPC :-(

That's odd; I had the impression that XP saw this (ie never passed the
keypress to VRPC).  I wonder whether what's different is an XP setting or a
VRPC one?

Googling, I find that it depends on Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change
the way users log on -> Use the welcome screen.   You presumably have the
option set to get the windows login box (slightly more secure as it does not
tell anyone what the username possibilities are, I suppose).