[Virtualacorn-list] Slow computer response

Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri Oct 2 14:20:29 BST 2009

Keith Pascall <klp at klpascall.plus.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am getting a problem in Virtual RPC with typed letters being missed out.

When VRPC is running, at the lower righthand corner of the enclosing
frame(*) there's a display of how fast the emulation is running (Mips etc).
It's worth getting used to keeping an eye on that.  If it's a good high
number you know that the VRPC application is getting sufficient cpu time etc
from Windows; if it's a low figure then nothing will work properly.

* I don't run VRPC full-screen, but instead inside a window that extends to
about 95% of the overall screen.  This makes it much easier to get back to
windows if eg a windows app pops up an error window underneath VRPC's one.
It also means you can readily position another windows app's window where
you can see a little of its contents.  Sometimes I put the windows task
manager where I can see how much cpu is going to other tasks.

Remember that if you Ctrl-Alt-Del while VRPC is running you should get the
windows task manager to pop up.  Sometimes that's the only way I can wrest
control back (and get the windows mouse pointer again).

I think you should arrange to be able to see the Windows task manager
display's 'processes' pane, and first click twice the CPU column, which will
then show you a sorted list of which windows tasks are using the most cpu
time.  If - for example - an antivirus process is regularly gobbling up cpu
this is how you'd find out what the culprit is.