[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
Sun Feb 8 15:18:13 GMT 2009

In message <5029fac7e0briancarroll at f2s.com>
          Brian Carroll <briancarroll at f2s.com> wrote:

> In article <5029f28d15dave at triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
> <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>> I decided to get one of my VRPC AdjustSA installs upgraded
>> from a stable 4.39 to 6.14.  (Running on Win XP)

>> The RO upgrade went okay, but my problem now happens during
>> the RO boot sequence. I wonder if anyone knows what the
>> following is all about.

> [Snip]

>> At this point the caret is ticking, the hourglass ticks over
>> but nothing else happens, the VRPC is effectly frozen.

>> It requires a click on the Windows, window close tool to exit.

>> I have no idea what-so ever what's happening, and If I revert
>> to the backup 4.39 boot, it all starts up okay. (Obviously in
>> 4.39).

> I can't answer your question but have you read the thread with
> the same title I re-started on 2 Feb 09 from some unanswered
> questions last year? It may suggest something useful.

> I am myself hoping for more info before I risk knackering a
> perfectly satisfactory RISC OS 4.39 installation. I am encouraged
> by your posting that implies you had no difficulty reverting to
> the base ROM image from RISC OS 6.14

Brian, you should have few difficulties if any going from 4.39 to
6.14.

You just need to be sensible and follow (and read) the instructions as
they appear on screen.

Also ensure you have no actual unplugged ROM modules, just prior to
installing 6.14 this will prevent the problem Dave Symes has
encountered (I have on one computer out of 5 of mine).

Certain things in old !boot do not get copied across to the new one so
these need to be done as necessary and thats it.

Also bear in mind you don't need to update !Printers if you have a
perfectly working set-up - so you can request its not updated during
the 6.14 install, etc..

--
Chris Hughes