[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 18:49:09 GMT 2009

In article <5029fac7e0briancarroll at f2s.com>,
   Brian Carroll <briancarroll at f2s.com> wrote:
> In article <5029f28d15dave at triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
> <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> > I decided to get one of my VRPC AdjustSA installs upgraded
> > from a stable 4.39 to 6.14.  (Running on Win XP)

> > The RO upgrade went okay, but my problem now happens during
> > the RO boot sequence. I wonder if anyone knows what the
> > following is all about.

> [Snip]

> > At this point the caret is ticking, the hourglass ticks over
> > but nothing else happens, the VRPC is effectly frozen.

> > It requires a click on the Windows, window close tool to exit.

> > I have no idea what-so ever what's happening, and If I revert
> > to the backup 4.39 boot, it all starts up okay. (Obviously in
> > 4.39).

> I can't answer your question but have you read the thread with
> the same title I re-started on 2 Feb 09 from some unanswered
> questions last year? It may suggest something useful.

> I am myself hoping for more info before I risk knackering a
> perfectly satisfactory RISC OS 4.39 installation. I am encouraged
> by your posting that implies you had no difficulty reverting to
> the base ROM image from RISC OS 6.14

> Brian.

Yes Brian, I've been keeping up with the doings.

I did remove the Read only setting from the Hardisc four directory before
starting the install.

For what it's worth regarding other points raised in the thread.
There are two visible user accounts on the XP-SP3 machine, I never use
passwords, and I don't have any general install problems.

A couple of points worth noting with regard to my posting.

Aside from having complete backups of the VRPC directory on the NAS drive,
Like you I also have a very stable 4.39 VRPC install, so I've made another
backup of the whole VRPC dir on the Computer HD before I started messin'
with the upgrade, so should it all go tits up, I just dump the rubbish and
put the copy in place.

I've kinda cheated with the reverting, in that until I either have an
answer to the problem or NOT, I've just renamed the 6.14 !Boot out and
Renamed the auto created Backup Bootnnnn back to !Boot.

If there is no answer forthcoming, then I shall rename the Boots back and
use the RO 6 uninstall tool which is supposed to take it back to where it
was before.

I'll keep you posted.
Cheers
Dave