[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Sun Feb 8 08:51:22 GMT 2009

In article <gemini.kepyoa004hhfu024c at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>,
   Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > net.inet.udp.checksum: Unimplimented SWI

> is not a problem as far as I know - my 4.39 VRPC system always shows
> that.

> In fact I've edited the file which issues the command that causes that
> response so it includes a reminder that this is normal.  The file is:

>  !Boot.Resources.!Internet.!Run

> and I now have the lines:

>  Echo JN: !Boot.Resources.!Internet.!Run - ignore msg about invalid SWI:
>  Echo

> in there just before the section which contains:

> | Enable UDP checksums which are disabled by default (compatibility with
> earlier stacks)

> X Sysctl -w net.inet.udp.checksum=1 > null:
> Sysctl -w net.inet.udp.checksum=1 > null:
> | Note that we just ignore errors here as this call may fail on VRPC
> | systems but it is harmless - 'True' Internet systems should accept the
> | option without problems and if they do have a problem then the lack of
> | UDP checksums is less useful but not unworkable.
> Sorry I can't help with the other problem.

Thanks for the info Jeremy.
However, I've just checked,and neither of my two installations of VRPC
AdjustSA under 4.39 present the "net.inet.udp.checksum: Unimplimented SWI"
error line.

It's only when 6.14 is installed that it appears, and at that point the
Boot sequence freezes... **Or does it?**

I have inserted your suggest Echo, and that does present, then the
..udp.checksum line, and if one is to believe the annotation in the run
file (You quote above) it should be ignored.

I've also put an Echo message after the checksum line, and that also does
display.

I'm now scrabbling in the dark, but I've done series of inserting Echo
messages down the file, including one at the end and they all display
before the freeze happens.
I've also, in conjunction with the Echos, barred out each remaining line
one at a time, rebooted... Frozen, un-barred, tried another... and so on
In which case it seems, because of no change, and the final Echo displayed
before the freeze, the problem is not there, but in whatever follows after
!Boot.Resources.!Internet.!Run   For which I have no idea, as I don't know
where the instructions that get run during the initial boot sequence are
stored.

I do know the later part is commanded from Predesk and Tasks, but before
that?

Thanks for the input, appreciated.
Dave