[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Brian Carroll briancarroll at f2s.com
Sun Feb 8 11:36:39 GMT 2009

In article <502a4ec1e4dave at triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
<dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article
>    <gemini.kepyoa004hhfu024c at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>,
>    Jeremy Nicoll - virtualacorn
>    <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> > Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > > net.inet.udp.checksum: Unimplimented SWI

> > is not a problem as far as I know - my 4.39 VRPC system
> > always shows that.

[Snip]

> It's only when 6.14 is installed that it appears, and at that
> point the Boot sequence freezes... **Or does it?**

> I have inserted your suggest Echo, and that does present, then
> the ..udp.checksum line, and if one is to believe the
> annotation in the run file (You quote above) it should be
> ignored.

> I've also put an Echo message after the checksum line, and
> that also does display.

> I'm now scrabbling in the dark, ...

[Snip]

> ...the problem is not there, but in whatever follows after
> !Boot.Resources.!Internet.!Run   For which I have no idea, as
> I don't know where the instructions that get run during the
> initial boot sequence are stored.

> I do know the later part is commanded from Predesk and Tasks,
> but before that?

I've used !FileFind to search the /contents/ of all files in
!Boot for the string '!Internet'.  I'm looking for something like
'Run xxxxxxxx.!Internet' which would run the file you have been
examining and have eliminated as the crash error source.

There are 3 such files (here in RISC OS 4.39):

Boot.:Choices.Hardware.Disabled.Boot.PreDesk.SetUpNet
Boot:Choices.Hardware.ID_0.Boot.PreDesk.SetUpNet
Boot:Choices.Hardware.Blank.Boot.PreDesk.SetUpNet

The first of these has a file:

Boot:Choices.Hardware.Disabled.Boot.PreDesk.TimeSetup

immediately following, which should be called immediately the
!Internet.!Run has finished.  The other 2 SetUpNet's have nothing
following, so the action moves elsewhere: I'm not sure of the
sequence of events in the very early stages of booting.

My suspicion is on 'TimeSetup', the whose contents (here) are:

If "<Inet$NTPServer>"="" Then Set Inet$NTPServer ntp.demon.co.uk
|do rtime  -ntp

Which matches (I think) my setting in Date_&_Time in the main
config window (use the demon ntp server, don't get time on boot).
If you /do/ get network time on boot, the 'do rtime -ntp' line is
not REMmed out[1].  The getting of network time occurs during the
initial boot (slow it down with Ctrl+Shift) immediately after the
toolbox unplugging and SetUpNet.

Does all that rather dodgy stuff give any clue? Eg, the network
time setting is broken in RISC OS 6.14?

Brian.

[1] The setting/unsetting procedure is slightly broken: you have
to tick/untick the 'Get network time on boot' box /and/ actually
get the time by clicking 'Get' in order to make the setting.