[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Brian Carroll briancarroll at f2s.com
Thu Feb 5 12:04:31 GMT 2009

In article <6c04eb2750.Alan.Adams at orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk>,
   Alan Adams <alan at adamshome.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <5027c00c58briancarroll at f2s.com> Brian Carroll

[Snip]

> > There are 2 accounts: me, 'Brian', with 'admin' access and
> > 'Guest' with 'limited' access but switched off[1]. No
> > passwords have ever been set, but the 'Use the Welcome
> > screen' option is set. Thus only 'Brian' has access to
> > anything and this presumably is why when I turn on the
> > computer it goes straight to a blue screen saying 'Welcome'
> > but with no names and continues into its long starting
> > rigmarole with no input from me.

> > The question now is whether the settings I have described
> > are likely to screw up the installation of RISC OS 6.xx . If
> > there is any risk of a half-done job I shall not even try it.

> > Brian.

> > [1] I activate it occasionally when my family visits.

> I still think there will be 3 accounts. TRhe Welcome screen
> and the control panel, users tool both hide the Administrator
> account. If you only have one other active user, and no
> passwords, then you will log in as you describe above.

> If you go to Start, Run, and type lusrmgr.msc you will run the
> full user administrator program, instead of the stripped down
> version in the control panel.

>   ! Don't use this to change anything !

I get a big red X and "This computer is running Windows XP Home
Edition. This snapin may not be used with that version of
Windows. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User
Accounts tool in the Control Panel". Presumably XP Professional
has the facility you describe because it would frequently be
multi-user.

> Under users I expect you to see Brian and Administrator.

> The only time I've seen systems without a hidden Administrator
> account were installed before SP1 had been released, and it
> was possible to have only an Administrator account. You could
> change the login name of this account to, for example, Brian,
> but the account is still called Administrator internally.

The only time I see a logging screen is if I click 'Log Off'
rather than 'Turn Off Computer' in the 'Start' menu.  As the
sole userI never do that; rather I 'Hibernate' from a keypress
or turn off completely.

But I've tried 'Log Off' just now and get to a screen where I am
the only user, shown as 'Brian', and restart by clicking on the
picture.  This is simply an unnecessary step, for me, though
obviously I can see how useful it would be for a multi-user
installation.

Brian.