[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Thu Feb 5 13:24:39 GMT 2009

In message <5028d4ef0ebriancarroll at f2s.com>
          Brian Carroll <briancarroll at f2s.com> wrote:

> In article <6c04eb2750.Alan.Adams at orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk>,
>    Alan Adams <alan at adamshome.org.uk> wrote:
>> In message <5027c00c58briancarroll at f2s.com> Brian Carroll

[Snip]

>> If you go to Start, Run, and type lusrmgr.msc you will run the
>> full user administrator program, instead of the stripped down
>> version in the control panel.

>>   ! Don't use this to change anything !

> I get a big red X and "This computer is running Windows XP Home
> Edition. This snapin may not be used with that version of
> Windows. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User
> Accounts tool in the Control Panel". Presumably XP Professional
> has the facility you describe because it would frequently be
> multi-user.

There is quite a lot that has been removed to create Home Edition -
all the code relating to domains and active directory for a start.
Sometimes the tools are there, but hidden. Obviously not in this case.

>> Under users I expect you to see Brian and Administrator.

>> The only time I've seen systems without a hidden Administrator
>> account were installed before SP1 had been released, and it
>> was possible to have only an Administrator account. You could
>> change the login name of this account to, for example, Brian,
>> but the account is still called Administrator internally.

> The only time I see a logging screen is if I click 'Log Off'
> rather than 'Turn Off Computer' in the 'Start' menu.  As the
> sole userI never do that; rather I 'Hibernate' from a keypress
> or turn off completely.

If you wanted to experiment, use the User control panel, and Change
the way users log on, untick "Use the Welcome Screen".

Once you have logged off, instead of giving you icons for some of the
user accounts, you get a username and password text entry. Try
Administrator, and leave the password blank, because often that is how
it is initially set. If it lets you in, you know there is an
administrator account. If it doesn't, it might be because there is a
password on it.

You could also look in C:\Documents and Settings. There will be a
folder there for All Users, and one for each user. Is there one called
Administrator, and another called Brian? If so, you have two users. If
there is only Brian, it could be that the Administrator folder is
created at first login. If there is only Administrator, then Brian is
the login name for Administrator. (Accounts have at least 3 different
names, although they are usually linked - account name=login name, and
full name is firstname space surname.)

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk