[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Tue Feb 3 17:29:31 GMT 2009

In message <5027c00c58briancarroll at f2s.com>
          Brian Carroll <briancarroll at f2s.com> wrote:

> In article <fe1e812750.Alan.Adams at orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk>,
>    Alan Adams <alan at adamshome.org.uk> wrote:
>> In message <5027778e31briancarroll at f2s.com> Brian Carroll
>>           <briancarroll at f2s.com> wrote:
>>> In article <c3b614f64f.chris at cumbrian.demon.co.uk>, Chris
>>> Hughes <chris at noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>>> [Snip]

> [Snip and a bit of re-arrangement of Alan's posting]

<snip>

> There are 2 accounts: me, 'Brian', with 'admin' access and
> 'Guest' with 'limited' access but switched off[1]. No passwords
> have ever been set, but the 'Use the Welcome screen' option is
> set. Thus only 'Brian' has access to anything and this
> presumably is why when I turn on the computer it goes straight
> to a blue screen saying 'Welcome' but with no names and
> continues into its long starting rigmarole with no input from me.

> The question now is whether the settings I have described are
> likely to screw up the installation of RISC OS 6.xx . If there
> is any risk of a half-done job I shall not even try it.

> Brian.

> [1] I activate it occasionally when my family visits.

I still think there will be 3 accounts. TRhe Welcome screen and the
control panel, users tool both hide the Administrator account. If you
only have one other active user, and no passwords, then you will log
in as you describe above.

If you go to Start, Run, and type lusrmgr.msc you will run the full
user administrator program, instead of the stripped down version in
the control panel.

  ! Don't use this to change anything !

Under users I expect you to see Brian and Administrator.

The only time I've seen systems without a hidden Administrator account
were installed before SP1 had been released, and it was possible to
have only an Administrator account. You could change the login name of
this account to, for example, Brian, but the account is still called
Administrator internally.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk