[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Brian Carroll briancarroll at f2s.com
Tue Feb 3 09:40:11 GMT 2009

In article <fe1e812750.Alan.Adams at orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk>,
   Alan Adams <alan at adamshome.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <5027778e31briancarroll at f2s.com> Brian Carroll
>           <briancarroll at f2s.com> wrote:
> > In article <c3b614f64f.chris at cumbrian.demon.co.uk>, Chris
> > Hughes <chris at noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> > [Snip]

> >> That did not work for me, what did work was the access
> >> permissions for the user account (active directory rights).

> >> I found that for some reason my user (I am supposedly the
> >> only user account on this PC) was not giving me full
> >> permissions on certain folders, on the C drive, once I
> >> modified those rights it all worked.

[Snip and a bit of re-arrangement of Alan's posting]

> > Could I have some advice whether RO6.14 is likely to be
> > stable on my VRPC version, and how to sort out the user
> > rights that Chris refers to above. [I too have a single user
> > machine with no passwords or users set but no access to some
> > root folders].

> I suspect Vista works the same as XP when installing. XP
> always creates an account called Administrator, for which it
> asks you to supply a password, then it asks for the name of
> one or more users, and insists on one. The first one is
> created as a member of the Administrators group, hence with
> admin rights to the computer.

> The only time you get the chance to log in as Administrator is
> when in Safe Mode, usually after something has gone badly
> wrong, or if you turn off the welcome screen, allowing you to
> type in the username and password.

> My suspicion is that Vista creates a similar user, but with
> less than full Admin rights. The username which does get full
> admin rights I expect to be Administrator, which won't be
> offered on the welcome screen.

[Snip]

Thank for that helpful advice, Alan, as ever from you.

Sorry I did not make clear that I am using Windows XP, SP3 in
Windows Classic desktop. My start procedure differs from your
description and I do not want to change it as I am normally the
only person who uses/has access to my PC.

There are 2 accounts: me, 'Brian', with 'admin' access and
'Guest' with 'limited' access but switched off[1]. No passwords
have ever been set, but the 'Use the Welcome screen' option is
set. Thus only 'Brian' has access to anything and this
presumably is why when I turn on the computer it goes straight
to a blue screen saying 'Welcome' but with no names and
continues into its long starting rigmarole with no input from me.

The question now is whether the settings I have described are
likely to screw up the installation of RISC OS 6.xx . If there
is any risk of a half-done job I shall not even try it.

Brian.

[1] I activate it occasionally when my family visits.