[Virtualacorn-list] printing

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 23:35:23 BST 2008

lists <Stuartlists at orpheusinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08 Sep, Dr Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > I lost the icon when MS asked me if I wanted to remove unused
> > icons,

> I hate that feature - it really annoys me. All the icons on my
> desktop are there because I want them there, if I didn't I'd remove
> them myself. I wonder if that "feature" can be turned off or
> removed.

The following is for XP. I don't know about Vista...

Right click somewhere on your desktop, and click on "Properties".
You'll get a tabbed dialogue called "Display Properties" - click on
the "Desktop" tab. Near the bottom of what's now displayed should be a
button labelled "Customize Desktop" - click that.

The bottom-most section of the "Desktop Items" dialogue now displayed
should be called "Desktop cleanup" - untick "Run Desktop Cleanup
Wizard every 60 days". Now click "OK". The dialogue closes, and you
can close the "Display Properties" using the normal close icon.

You should now stop seeing the "There are unused items on your
desktop..." annoyance.

> > foolishly I ticked yes. 8-(

> > I'll find it the morning, can't have gone far,

> I believe there is a folder somewhere where it puts them all.

It should have created a folder on your desktop called "Unused desktop
icons" and put them all in there. The idea is that you can open that,
look through what's there and move any you want to keep back to the
desktop. Once done, you can delete the folder.

However, in case you've already deleted that folder, you'll probably
find that the VirtualAcorn manual is also on the Start menu, in the
VirtualAcorn program group (aka submenu).

--
Vince M Hudd, Soft Rock Software   -   www.softrock.co.uk   -
www.vinceh.co.uk