[Virtualacorn-list] An Iyonix Replacement?

Paul Stewart paulstewart at phawfaux.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 18:49:30 BST 2008

 On Thu 16/10/08 13:25 , ATimbrell at aol.com sent:
> In a message dated 16/10/2008 16:32:59 GMT Daylight Time,  druck at druc
> k.org.uk writes:
>
> >> I am a little confused about this one. The
> RISC OS 6 Video driver  (that>> supports the 8Mb of VRAM under VirtualRPC)
> was released as  part of RISC>> OS 6.10 - at Wakefield this year. So if you
> are a  current Select>> Subscriber and have your RISC OS 6.10 CD -
> then you  have the driver built>> into the RISC OS softload ROM.
>
> >Well  I've just installed 6.10 on VRPC-SA, and
> there is no change in the>video  capabilities.
>
> There won't be. RISC OS 6.10 (Select) supports the same VRAM
> amount  (8Mb) as the versions of RISC OS supplied with VirtualRPC.
> So try selecting 1600 x 1200 at 24bit. This will use 7.5Mb of screen
> memory.
>
> >How is is supposed to work? There is only VIDC in
>  Configure's monitor>driver list. I would have expected to see some
> kind  of entry for VRPC, as I>did on for ViewFinder on my Risc PC.
>
> It's automtatic.
>
> >> With regard to going higher than 8Mb -  then
> the StrongARM VirtualRPCs can>> go over this limit (the  theoretical limit
> being around 16Mb) when using>> the ARM7500  core.
>
> >And I've never got that to work
> either.
> It works fine here (and for lots of other users). Unfortuanately
> saying"I've never got that to work" doesn't really help me with
> attempting  todiagnose the problem :-(
>
> >Some explaination is needed here
> Aaron.
> See above.
>
> Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I have to admit, I have the same problem

I am running  WXP Pro SP3, VRPCSE V1.6, RISC OS 6.10.
When I select 1400x900 as a screen resolution, I am limited to a maximum colour depth of 256.
The mode file I am using is VirtualRPC-SE.

I'm guessing there must either be a file missing or setting wrong.  Can you advise on where to look?

Regards
--
Paul Stewart -  Far Bletchley, Milton Keynes, UK.

Be Bold.  Dare To Be Different.  Use RISC OS (http://www.riscos.com).
It's blue and from outta town - The A9home
(http://www.advantage6.co.uk/A9hsplash.html).
A9home Compatibility page -
(http://www.phawfaux.co.uk/a9home/compatibility.asp).