[Virtualacorn-list] Speed of Iyonix??

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Tue Oct 7 23:45:03 BST 2008

In message of 7 Oct, Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 7 Oct 2008, ATimbrell at aol.com wrote:

> >>Well that is good news  indeed Aaron. But I would like to confirm
> >>this for myself, with the  SA-VRPC running at 2048x1536 24-bit
> >>colour.
> >
> > I find it a little sad that you don't believe me :-)
>
> If I believe you, then I spent 2grand on a ProMac, and found that it
> was not faster running SA-VRPC than an Iyonix, would you buy the Mac
> off me at the price I paid?
>
> I don't suppose you would.
>
> I don't want to spend 2grand then find out you were wrong. If you are
> absolutely positive you are right, I might... But would prefer proof
> first.

Of course, I have already proved that the above assertion, for loading
large files at the least, of "On a modern Mac (Intel Dual Core) a
VirtualRPC will outperform an  Iyonix on pretty much evyerything." is
not correct.  The contrary, for these large files, is true, that an
Iyonix will outperform a modern Mac with Intel Dual Core processor
running VARPC.

And I'm still looking for a test of processor performance between the
two environments.

But I am not complaining about the speed of VARPC.  For everything I
have been doing so far, its speed has been perfectly usable and the
beauty is that I can run VARPC, Mac OS, Windows and Ubuntu all on the
same machine and all at the same time.  I only need the Iyonix to print
to my rather aged A2 printer, a Canon BJC 5500 for which the Mac has no
driver; though there is a Gimp driver but which produces very faulty
prints.

But when I get back to doing large graphics again, I will be interested
to note my response to whatever operational performance I find on VARPC
on the Mac.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim at powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/