[Virtualacorn-list] Speed of Iyonix??

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Tue Oct 7 11:33:55 BST 2008

In message of 7 Oct, ATimbrell at aol.com wrote:

> rogerarm at freeuk.com writes:
>
> >> I am not sure who told you this, but it's absolute nonsense.. On  a
> >> modern Mac (Intel Dual Core) a VirtualRPC will outperform an
> >> Iyonix on pretty much evyerything.

Can you tell us how this can be established?  My tests to date do not
corroborate your assertion.

> >Well that is good news  indeed Aaron. But I would like to confirm
> >this for myself, with the  SA-VRPC running at 2048x1536 24-bit
> >colour.
>
> I find it a little sad that you don't believe me :-)
>
> Anyway, I can't really help with that one. My current Mac is still a
> G5 iMac with 1440 x 900 screen - so isn't really comparable.
>
> >Where  can I play with one of this spec using DPscan and Variations?
>
> I don't use either of those two. I suspect someone on the list will
> be able to assist.

Someone is here!  I have already posted the DPscan tests and here's the
which figure one uses) sprite file:

  On 512M Iyonix:           5 secs

  On 256M VARPC on Mac:    49 secs

  % difference:            10 %

So, what test can we use to support your assertion that, above:

   "On a modern Mac (Intel Dual Core) a VirtualRPC will outperform an
   Iyonix on pretty much evyerything."

The only thing that might be criticised with my setup here is that it is
a 2.8 GHz Dual processor each with 4 cores and not a 3.2 Mhz one.  The
Mac has 6 Gbytes of RAM and its Activity Monitor shows that the
CPU is not heavily loaded at all.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim at powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/