[Virtualacorn-list] Speed of Iyonix??

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Tue Oct 7 09:51:28 BST 2008

ATimbrell at aol.com wrote:

> rogerarm at freeuk.com writes:
>
> > > I am not sure who told you this, but it's absolute nonsense.. On  a
> > > modern Mac (Intel Dual Core) a VirtualRPC will outperform an  Iyonix
> > > on pretty much evyerything.
>
> > Well that is good news  indeed Aaron. But I would like to confirm this
> > for myself, with the  SA-VRPC running at 2048x1536 24-bit colour.
>
> I find it a little sad that you don't believe me :-)
>
> Anyway, I can't really help with that one. My current Mac is still a  G5
> iMac with 1440 x 900 screen - so isn't really comparable.

The RISC OS screen can be larger than the host's display, at least it can be
on this Vista laptop. Using the 7500 model I managed 2048x1536 at 16M
colours. I have forgotten what the proper term for this is but the big RISC
OS screen can be scrolled around within the smaller physical display. That
is not what the OP wants but I am just trying to confirm that large full
colour displays are possible. The values in
Choices.Default.Boot.PreDesk.8MBBandLimit needed raising.

At 8MB VRAM the best offer for 16M colours here is 1912x1072, at the
laptop's native resolution of 1920x1200 it is down to 32k, which is fine for
my usage.

--
David Pitt