[Virtualacorn-list] Trouble after last upgrade

Brian Jordan brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 12 20:55:53 GMT 2008

In message <500cacbc2bjochenlueg at btinternet.com>
          Jochen Lueg <jochenlueg at btinternet.com> wrote:

> In article <2574a90c50.Brian at brian.jordan9.btinternet.com>,
>    Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>> In message <500c748351jochenlueg at btinternet.com>
>>           Jochen Lueg <jochenlueg at btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Has anybody else got this problem?
>> I have...

>> I installed the <hostfs2008> upgrade this morning primarily to fix the
>> longstanding date stamp issues. Like you I have discovered that a
>> number of files have lost their RISC OS file type information in the
>> process (.htm .html .png .jpg .gif at the last count) and have been
>> typed as text although here the original file name and extension have
>> been retained. This only applies when the files have been viewed in
>> filer windows on the RISC OS side, they seem to be untroubled on the
>> XP side. What is really wierd is that I have found one directory of 14
>> .png files where one of the files has retained its RISC OS file type
>> and the reason is that I misnamed it cc4/pmg in error when I created
>> the file, from which I surmise that the problem is caused by the file
>> naming rather than the RISC OS file typing.

>> After I have corrected several hundred files on my local copies of
>> half a dozen sites I shall have a poke around to see what the problem
>> is.

> Ah, I'm glad I wasn't dreaming. I discovered it from XP because Firefox
> wouldn't load my web index page and - when that was fixed - none of the
> graphics.

> In the XP directory  index.htm was renamed do index.htm.txt - the same
> file in the Strongarm partition came out as index.htm.txt.txt.txt. A
> similar rename happend with every one of themgraphics called by that page.

So far I haven't seen anything this extreme; in fact the site as seen
on the XP side seems to be ok. In fact I am going over there now to
try to get to grips with Notepad++ so that I can do something
productive this evening. The way I feel right now  I'm not sure that
I'll be back.

Brian

Brian Jordan