[Virtualacorn-list] Trouble after last upgrade

Jochen Lueg jochenlueg at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 12 19:51:46 GMT 2008

In article <2574a90c50.Brian at brian.jordan9.btinternet.com>,
   Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> In message <500c748351jochenlueg at btinternet.com>
>           Jochen Lueg <jochenlueg at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > Has anybody else got this problem?
> I have...

> I installed the <hostfs2008> upgrade this morning primarily to fix the
> longstanding date stamp issues. Like you I have discovered that a
> number of files have lost their RISC OS file type information in the
> process (.htm .html .png .jpg .gif at the last count) and have been
> typed as text although here the original file name and extension have
> been retained. This only applies when the files have been viewed in
> filer windows on the RISC OS side, they seem to be untroubled on the
> XP side. What is really wierd is that I have found one directory of 14
> .png files where one of the files has retained its RISC OS file type
> and the reason is that I misnamed it cc4/pmg in error when I created
> the file, from which I surmise that the problem is caused by the file
> naming rather than the RISC OS file typing.

> After I have corrected several hundred files on my local copies of
> half a dozen sites I shall have a poke around to see what the problem
> is.

Ah, I'm glad I wasn't dreaming. I discovered it from XP because Firefox
wouldn't load my web index page and - when that was fixed - none of the
graphics.

In the XP directory  index.htm was renamed do index.htm.txt - the same
file in the Strongarm partition came out as index.htm.txt.txt.txt. A
similar rename happend with every one of themgraphics called by that page.

Jochen