[Virtualacorn-list] Trouble after last upgrade

ATimbrell at aol.com ATimbrell at aol.com
Sat Dec 13 18:42:56 GMT 2008

brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com writes:

>In message  <2574a90c50.Brian at brian.jordan9.btinternet.com>
>           Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> wrote:

>> In  message  <500c748351jochenlueg at btinternet.com>
>>            Jochen Lueg <jochenlueg at btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Has  anybody else got this problem?
>> I have...

<snip>

Right. For some reason I haven't been receiving the messages
from the list. I would like to make several comments:

Firstly if a user downloads something from our site and subsequently
has a problem can they please contact VirtualAcorn first. This list
is not an official support list. We can be contacted easily enough.
All the details needed are on our website.

Secondly - the content of this new upgrade is identical to the
one I provided to users of this list a few weeks ago. I asked
for people to test it and see if they had any problems. No
problems were reported. Since no problems were reported by
first line testers, second line testers or from those on this list
and on the VirtualAcorn forum the upgrade went out.

Now it does seem there is a problem. It seems to relate to
HostFS adding extensions to files. It's a guess (as I don't
have the problem here). But if you look at the "corrupted"
files under Windows has HostFS added an extra extension
on the end. E.g.

Drawfile,aff.txt

Or is the file like this?

Drawfile.txt

Secondly on which mount are these files? Are they on the main
HardDisc4 mount? or elsewhere?

If they are not on the main HardDisc4 is the HostFS "Show DOS
extensions" option ticked for this mount.

Thirdly - instructions for using the upgrade are on our website,
the upgrade itself is a single Windows .exe file. This is designed
so that it can be run from the original .zip file. When the upgrade
runs it opens a window telling you what it's going to do and what
it's designed to fix.

Aaron (VirtualAcorn)