[Bru-list] Meeting dates 2012

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Tue Feb 21 14:04:39 GMT 2012

Trevor Johnson <trevor.johnson at laposte.net> wrote:

> > Although it's too late for January, I'm wondering if 2nd Wednesday every
> > *odd* month is better. That would make it:
> >
> > - 2 days ago (we could always proceed with the 08 Feb to make up for
> > it).

> > - 14 March

When I originally suggested that, I don't think we had a date for the SW
Show, which we obviously do now: Being this coming Saturday, that makes this
suggested meeting date just over two weeks after that - so that's worked out
well.

> > - 09 May (slightly less than two weeks after Wakefield)
> > - 11 July
> > - 12 September
> > - 14 November (just over two weeks after London)

> Those present at the 08 Feb meeting last week generally thought we should
> stick to the above. It should mean we don't need to waste time discussing
> dates in advance.

> Of course, there are people who've previously attended in person and/or
> posted on this list, who weren't able to voice their opinions at last
> week's meeting. Therefore, it'd be good if others could please share their
> thoughts (either agree/disagree/indifferent).

Nobody seems to have commented so far - so I think it's safe to assume
everyone [who is likely to turn up] is happy with these dates? When I next
do an update on RISCOSitory.com (which I'm long overdue to do, and I have a
few news items, so it'll be a 'snippets' post later in the week), I'll
update the calendar page so that - at long last - it includes our own
group's dates!

And my next trick will be to semi-automate the calendar page updates - I've
already decided the best approach, but setting it up will take a chunk of
time.

> As for location, the Hope & Anchor in Bristol is the third venue we've
> tried. Those present last week also thought we should stick there. Some
> reasons for this are: - Reasonable beer selection - More intimate than
> larger pubs, also no sports channel on while we were there (did they even
> have a TV - possibly not?) - Free on-street parking after 6pm (that is,
> unless Vince reports otherwise) - Town centre(-ish) location

Yes, the parking does appear to be free after 6pm. I parked at the top of
Jacob's Wells Road, and the meter only specified the charging period as
being up to 6pm - so I'd guess the same would apply to any coming down the
road and those around the corner at the bottom (St George's Road) - which is
just a few hundred yards walk to the pub, depending how far along it you
park.

Hotwells Road has no meters, but is restricted parking - and the signage
that I spotted was a little unclear. IIRC it said no parking from 6am until
10am/4pm until 6pm, and from 10am until 4pm it's limited to an hour, and
doesn't actually say anything at all for the evening from 6pm onwards - but
there were a number of cars when I came past on the way to the pub which
were still there when I went home - so I guess that means it's the same; ie
okay to park after 6pm. (And the end of Hotwells Road being directly
opposite St George's Road puts it at the same distance from the pub).

[...]

> Finally, lurkers on this list, hopefully you'll make it to one of our
> meetings this year! Thanks for reading.

Seconded!

--
Soft Rock Software:                   http://www.softrock.co.uk