[AppBasic] DrawScript Filetype Problem

David R Lane D_Lane at Lakeview.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 19:14:42 GMT 2014

In message <159374ed53.fjgraute at casema.nl>
          Fred Graute <fjgraute at casema.nl> wrote:

[snip]

> Apologies David, perhaps David and I were too brief in our explanations
> due to being very familiar with StrongED.

> Choices are, normally, being saved to !StrED_cfg - the application that
> holds StrongED's choices. It's usually located in either Boot:Choices or
> in the same directory as StrongED.

> An easy to check to see where StrongED saves its choices is to click
> Shift-Select on its iconbar icon. This will open !StrED_cfg.UserPrefs
> when StrED_cfg is in use, else it will open !StrongED.Defaults.

> In the directory opened by the above, go to the DrawScript directory and
> delete the Choices file. Then follow the steps I provided earlier.

This doesn't produce a Choices file for me in either
!StrED_cfg.UserPrefs.Modes or in !StrongED.Defaults.Modes . I deleted
the existing Choices file in each, respectively, while StrongED was
not running. I have tried the same method with an HTML file with
StrongED in HTML mode and no Choices file is saved anywhere.

[snip]

>> I notice that every filetype name that I have looked at consists of no
>> more than 8 characters, sometimes abbreviating the fullname that we
>> know the application by down to 8 or less characters, e.g., EasiDoc,
>> and "DrawScri" is just 8 characters.

> Names of filetypes should not be longer than 8 characters because the
> SWIs to read them only return 8 characters (two 32-bit words). The
> system variables holding those names do not have such a limit. So,
> depending on how the filetype name is extracted it may shown in full or
> abbreviated to 8 chars.

I have done a *Show to find that in the File$Type list DrawScript
appears against File$Type_B9B and is the only filetype name in the
list with more than 8 characters. Is this relevant?

[snip]

>> I am no expert, but my guess is that some changes from DrawScript to
>> DrawScri need to be made in files in Defaults.Modes.DrawScript, or
>> changes from Drawscri to DrawScript in the !DrawScript application.

> No changes should be required. Like David, I have updated my copy of
> DrawScript mode and it's all working fine.

>> This is where one of those applications/utilities that search for
>> files containing a certain word would be useful?

> Er, you mean StrongED, yes? ;-)

David Lane