[AppBasic] DrawScript Filetype Problem

David R Lane D_Lane at Lakeview.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 13:33:54 GMT 2014

In message <mpro.n2w9nn006no4p04ro.pittdj at pittdj.co.uk>
          David Pitt <pittdj at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

> David R Lane, on 23 Mar, wrote:

>> 'Between emails' I had already corrected the Draw.ModeWhen file to what
>> you have above. I have now changed the filetype of the Modes.Draw.Choices
>> file to text; but, unfortunately, the file seems to be a binary. So the
>> problem remains.

[snip]

> As Fred says bin the old file and let StrongED save its default, the old and
> new file names are the same so the presence of the old style data one will
> be preventing the saving of a new style text one.

>> I don't know where you got your Choices file from, but mine came in the
>> dsed/zip file from Joe Taylor's website,
>> http://www3.mistral.co.uk/joe_taylor/drawscript/ (see DrawScript
>> configuration mode for StrongED on downloads page).

> I made my own some time ago.
>>
>> Thanks for help so far. Could you email me a copy of your choices file?

> In a fit of creativity I have renamed the mode as DrawScript and added the
> beginnings of a Mode StrongHelp file.

> A emailed zip will turn up shortly.

Hi Fred and David,

Neither of your solutions has worked. No Choices file was saved in
Defaults.Modes.DrawScript using Fred's suggestion. I tried David's
Choices file, but the filetype problem remained. I can see the
differences his Choices file makes to the DrawScript window including
a black background - it was white before.

I think I have found the cause of the filetype problem. In the save
box, the type field has the type as DrawScri, not DrawScript.
"Drawscri" is not a recognised filetype (try saving a text file in
basemode as a DrawScri type file). On adding pt to the end of
Drawscri in the type field, the file is saved as a DrawScript file,
but still typed as DrawScri. There seems to be an inconsistency
somewhere. Users will not want to have to edit this field either to
DrawScript or to &b9b every time, so what is the solution?

I notice that every filetype name that I have looked at consists of no
more than 8 characters, sometimes abbreviating the fullname that we
know the application by down to 8 or less characters, e.g., EasiDoc,
and "DrawScri" is just 8 characters. I have looked at some of the
files in StrongED to find any mention of "DrawScri", but not found
any. So I don't know where it is being set. A few other applications I
have looked at don't have a filetype field in the save box, but
filetype options in a menu before getting to a savebox which has just
the filename option. Perhaps editors are different (but not Edit).

I am no expert, but my guess is that some changes from DrawScript to
DrawScri need to be made in files in Defaults.Modes.DrawScript, or
changes from Drawscri to DrawScript in the !DrawScript application.
This is where one of those applications/utilities that search for
files containing a certain word would be useful?

David Lane

--
Existence = Resistance! Er...., resist Micro$oft.