[Virtualacorn-list] Incompatible host

Vince M Hudd atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 14:03:33 GMT 2019

On 04/03/2019 09:08, David J. Ruck via Virtualacorn-list wrote:
> On 01/03/2019 21:12, T.O.M.S. via Virtualacorn-list wrote:

[...]

>> VirtualRPC should no longer be installed in the 'old' C:\Program
>> Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-xxx  folder but in the 'new' location at
>> C:\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-xxx

> Yes, and the amount of grief that caused everyone, by choosing to fight
> Windows instead of doing things the 'correct' way for that platform. And
> it's only got worse with each version of Windows, as it attempts to bolt
> on security (UAC etc).

Indeed.

By *not* following the advice TOMS (and by extension Aaron) gives, it
was (and presumably still is) possible to set up VRPC to behave itself
with UAC (the program in Program Files, the hard drive(s) in the user's
documents folder). I was happily doing this for years[1].

The only issue, IIRC, was that UAC meant changes couldn't be made to the
configuration (both of VRPC itself, or the emulated machine via its CMOS
settings) without switching to an admin user.

That being said, it's worth noting that I'm a more technically capable
user than many others, and the TOMS/Aaron advice needs to cover those
who are less so.

However, the way I had it set up is _almost_ how the software should be
supplied/installed by default. The only difference between my old set up
and 'correct' being, as Druck says, the location of user choices (which
would negate that need to be an admin occasionally). If it were so,
there would be less issues with users coming up with "solutions" to the
problem, because the problem - and any problems those solutions might
cause - wouldn't be there in the first place.

Everyone would be forced to find alternative ways to break things. :)

[1] One of my machines with VRPC installed - the one set up as described
- is no longer in use. It probably still works, but it has long since
been replaced. I ought to move the VRPC installation, really - but I
don't have any real need for it these days other than the *other*
installation, on an old XP laptop, which I only ever use at (most) shows.

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk