[Virtualacorn-list] local PHP on Windows

Jim Nagel vatory at abbeypress.co.uk
Sat Feb 23 15:26:01 GMT 2019

I set up a website for a customer about 15 years ago -- his diary from
schoolboy and wartime years, plus booklets he published in his heyday.
Some stuff is now to be added.

The author, now in his mid-80s, chooses to have no internet connection
himself.  I occasionally give him an up-to-date copy of the site so that
he can view it locally on his Windows XP machine.  As browser he uses
Firefox and might also have Chrome (oldish versions, unless somebody else
has updated him).

Having learned some PHP, I'd like to use some simple PHP calls in the
additions to his site.  Here on RiscOS, I use Webjames as development
server to test pages (of other sites) with PHP before I upload them to the
ISP (Spellings).  The version of PHP that comes with Webjames is 5.2 --
quite old, but I'm doing nothing cutting-edge, and the ISP's newer PHP
handles it without complaint.

My question:  Will my customer's existing setup be able to deal with PHP?
Or will I need to install some sort of "development server" on his XP box?
And if so, can anybody please recommend one?  (Preferably something with
small footprint and as straightforward as Webjames.)

Thanks.  (Also asking on the Archive-online list.)

--
Jim Nagel                            www.archivemag.co.uk