[Virtualacorn-list] Webmail vs a dedicated email client + POP3 vs IMAP (Was: Multiple recipients)

Vince M Hudd atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 12:04:32 BST 2018

On 27/07/18 23:21, lists via Virtualacorn-list wrote:
> In article <330061398.68209.1532726509030 at communicator.strato.de>,
>     Steffen Huber via Virtualacorn-list
> <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:

>> I fear that, for modern WebMail systems, it turns out the WebMail is
>> at least as powerful as Pluto and MessengerPro.

While this is almost certainly true in some cases - particularly where
the webmail system is one of the primary products to draw people in to
the provider's services, such as Google and Gmail[1]. However, the
webmail offerings I've seen provided by ISPs to their customers tend to
be somewhat more basic.

I believe it is something more along those lines that Bob is using.

[1] I have a gmail address which only sees very limited use, and I
access it from my desktop using IMAP. I don't see the webby interface,
so I don't really know what it's like - but despite my general dislike
of Google, their developers are pretty damned good at what they do, so I
imagine it's a pretty good system.

>> And IIRC, Pluto is still tied to POP3 which is a nightmare if used from more than one
>> device.

> !Pluto is a reading/sending application and is tied only to whatever
> application is used to actually fetch mail from a server, or despatch to a
> server.

That pretty much ties it to POP3 for receiving emails, as Steffen said.
For it to be able to handle IMAP, it would pretty much have to speak
directly to the mail server for almost every action it carries out on
the contents of the mailbox.

> In my case I use !POPstar which, whilst a POP3 client, can be
> configured to leave mail on the server after a fetch if required.

Before I switched to using IMAP I did similar, but it was always a
flawed approach.

--
Vince M Hudd - Soft Rock Software   - www.softrock.co.uk
                RISCOSitory          - www.riscository.com