[Virtualacorn-list] Multiple recipients

Steffen Huber steffen at huber-net.de
Tue Jul 31 15:49:44 BST 2018

> "David J. Ruck via Virtualacorn-list" <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote
[snip]
> The obvious solution would be to set up a Linux Raspberry Pi as a local
> mail server, which downloads email from your ISP and shares it via IMAP
> to all clients. As it's local SecureSockets isn't needed from RISC OS,
> but a VPN can be set up to allow external secure access from your mobile
> devices.
>
> As this is a VA list, there may be a PC IMAP sever which could do the
> same, but I haven't looked.

Unfortunately, this "obvious solution" only solves - despite the
significant install and management overhead it creates - one
single problem: Messenger Pro's insecureness. It does not magically
allow Pluto to sensibly communicate with IMAP, and it does not
solve the slowness of Messenger Pro handling large IMAP mailboxes,
and it does not solve Messenger Pro's broken encoding handling.

There are a few Qt-based open source email clients, maybe it
would be worth improving the Qt port to make those really
usable.

Or maybe add secure IMAP and SMTP to TapirMail.

> > If NetSurf gains enough JavaScript capabilities, it will
> > immediately become the premier RISC OS email solution. This
> > is really sad considering that both Messenger Pro and
> > Pluto were ahead of the PC competition in the early days.
>
> I've still not come across any webmail service which is a patch on a
> dedicated email program.

What "dedicated email program" do you (or anyone reading this!) favour?
I am in a seemingly constant search for something sensible.

Things I tried include Messenger Pro (Windows), Opera Mail, Foxmail,
Mailbird, eM Client, Pegasus Mail, Claws, Thunderbird and Columba.
Claws is my favourite, but still far from ideal.

Oh, and if you know a good client for Android...

Steffen

--
Steffen Huber LambdaComm System – Welcome to Trollinger Country
steffen at huber-net.de
Private homepage http://www.huber-net.de/
RISC OS Blog http://riscosblog.huber-net.de/