[Virtualacorn-list] Multiple recipients

Steffen Huber steffen at huber-net.de
Sat Jul 28 01:50:09 BST 2018

> lists via Virtualacorn-list <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:
>

> In article <330061398.68209.1532726509030 at communicator.strato.de>,
>    Steffen Huber via Virtualacorn-list
> <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:
> > I fear that, for modern WebMail systems, it turns out the WebMail is
> > at least as powerful as Pluto and MessengerPro. And IIRC, Pluto is
> > still tied to POP3 which is a nightmare if used from more than one
> > device.
>
> !Pluto is a reading/sending application and is tied only to whatever
> application is used to actually fetch mail from a server, or despatch to a
> server. In my case I use !POPstar which, whilst a POP3 client, can be
> configured to leave mail on the server after a fetch if required.

"Leaving mail on the server" is just not enough. I need to sort
mail into folders. I need to have the same read/unread state
across all devices. If I delete a mail on one device, it should be
also deleted on the server. In short: I need IMAP. Technically,
in Pluto's current state of handling fetching/sending from/to the
server, it is impossible to properly support IMAP. I guess it is
unlikely that someone will implement it in the near future.

I used Messenger Pro for quite a while, and mostly liked it
(especially its mailing list support and the seamless integration
of mail and news). However, it is firmly stuck in the 90s.
While - in contrast to Pluto - it supports IMAP, it has reportedly
big performance issues when dealing with big mailboxes (mine is
over 10 GiB). And it has broken encoding handling (last time
I looked). And, IIRC, the server connector still uses the
completely outdated SecureSockets module.

If NetSurf gains enough JavaScript capabilities, it will
immediately become the premier RISC OS email solution. This
is really sad considering that both Messenger Pro and
Pluto were ahead of the PC competition in the early days.

Steffen

--
Steffen Huber LambdaComm System – Welcome to Trollinger Country
steffen at huber-net.de
Private homepage http://www.huber-net.de/
RISC OS Blog http://riscosblog.huber-net.de/