[Virtualacorn-list] Multiple recipients

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Sun Jul 29 09:31:21 BST 2018

On 28/07/2018 01:50, Steffen Huber via Virtualacorn-list wrote:
> "Leaving mail on the server" is just not enough. I need to sort
> mail into folders. I need to have the same read/unread state
> across all devices. If I delete a mail on one device, it should be
> also deleted on the server. In short: I need IMAP. Technically,
> in Pluto's current state of handling fetching/sending from/to the
> server, it is impossible to properly support IMAP. I guess it is
> unlikely that someone will implement it in the near future.
>
> I used Messenger Pro for quite a while, and mostly liked it
> (especially its mailing list support and the seamless integration
> of mail and news). However, it is firmly stuck in the 90s.
> While - in contrast to Pluto - it supports IMAP, it has reportedly
> big performance issues when dealing with big mailboxes (mine is
> over 10 GiB). And it has broken encoding handling (last time
> I looked). And, IIRC, the server connector still uses the
> completely outdated SecureSockets module.

The obvious solution would be to set up a Linux Raspberry Pi as a local
mail server, which downloads email from your ISP and shares it via IMAP
to all clients. As it's local SecureSockets isn't needed from RISC OS,
but a VPN can be set up to allow external secure access from your mobile
devices.

As this is a VA list, there may be a PC IMAP sever which could do the
same, but I haven't looked.

> If NetSurf gains enough JavaScript capabilities, it will
> immediately become the premier RISC OS email solution. This
> is really sad considering that both Messenger Pro and
> Pluto were ahead of the PC competition in the early days.

I've still not come across any webmail service which is a patch on a
dedicated email program.

Cheers
---David
Email: druck at druck.org.uk