[Virtualacorn-list] Multiple recipients

Bob Ardler ardler at argonet.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 13:34:17 BST 2018

Vince M Hudd wrote:
re:
>> Re the original VMH thread: clicking "Reply" here replies
>> only to the sender you're reading; "Reply all" replies to
>> sender plus list and causes "held for moderation" as Vince
>> M Hudd noted. So you enter the list address by hand, which,
>> if I understand J McC, snaps the thread. Yer carnt win.

> What this shows is that webmail - whether that's in general, or the
> specific implementation you are using - is somewhat lacking as a day to
> day email service. This is why a proper email client such as Pluto is a
> far better way to read email.
>
> Out of interest, I've just logged into the webmail service provided
> by my host to see how it handles list posts, and it showed a similar
> limitation you describe - though not quite the same. Ultimately,
> though, it boiled down to the same result of a reply either being
> sent directly to you, or to both you and the list (the Reply-all).
>
> But there is a quick fix in my case which may or may not also work for
> you/your webmail service: Hit reply-all, then delete the personal
> recipient from the To field, leaving only the list as a recipient.
>
> Indeed, this reply is being composed via my webmail service having done
> exactly that.

That's weird: a blank "To:" and a "Cc:" to oneself via VAlist etc.
Am trying it here. Even if it works, it doesn't explain why "Reply:"
has worked in the past, with no "Multiple recipients" message.

Well, it didn't -- ERROR: You have not filled in the "To" field.
Moved the Cc addr into To:, trying again.