[Virtualacorn-list] Can someone tell me . .

Jeremy Nicoll - ml VA jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Wed Dec 12 16:49:37 GMT 2018

On 2018-12-12 13:26, John Woodhouse via Virtualacorn-list wrote:

> Type  Extensions
>
> 1ad : mp3,mp4
>                 but also
> bf8 : mp4
>
> will it confuse the system having two entries, and if so which is the
> right
> one?

It's not necessarily wrong for there to be two filetypes, if - say -
back in
the day someone wrote an application that could process both mp3 and mp4
files
and chose just one filetype for both when that application was intended
to be
the one that opened them.  For example the application might then have
id'd
the type of data by looking at the first few bytes of the file.

Or, someone may at some stage have decided that (if) neither mp3 nor mp4
could be processed by RO but a filetype would still be useful, and
assigned
one type for both types of file.  I suspect that mp3 files are supported
on RO though even if mp4 are not.

One might have expected the formal process that RO programmers are meant
go through to register filetypes to have avoided this though... and that
might mean that one or both of these definitions are not properly
registered.

Also... just telling mimemap that filetype bf8 equates to ".mp4" doesn't
(so
far as I know) tell RO itself what the name of the filetype bf8 is, and
it
certainly doesn't define a suitable icon.

To get a name for the filetype you will need to put the instruction

    *set file$type_BF8 Mp4

into an Obey file somewhere in your boot sequence.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own