[Virtualacorn-list] Help please with browser connection

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Sun Dec 9 19:14:15 GMT 2018

In message <6754d66357.Alan.Adams at ArmX6.adamshome.org.uk>
          Alan Adams <alan at adamshome.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <5741b8eb4bmail at JohnWoodhouse.plus.com>
>           John Woodhouse via Virtualacorn-list
> <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:

>> On 04 Oct, John Woodhouse via Virtualacorn-list
>> <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:

>> [Snip]

>>> Can someone put me out of my misery and tell me what else needs to be
>>> configured?

>> [Snip]

>> Sorry: please ignore. I  don't know what I diid, but it has sprung to like
>> again, so I'm back to normal again - with the exception of the ancient
>> Kyocera printer....
>> The printer was set on an IP of 192.168.1.4 and now I cannot get into its
>> network card to change it to the required 0 series to get it back on the
>> network. Unfortunately it refuses to access the card because it is not a
>> Kyocera one. Is there some sort of fiddle to get temporarily onto the 0
>> series network to get into the printer to change the card's IP ?

>> John

> You will have to temporarily change the address of a computer into the 0
> range, connect to the printer, change that, then change the computer back
> to where it was.

> (Actually if it's a Windows computer it is possible to give it addresses
> in both ranges, but for this exercise that's too tricky, and unnecessarily
> complicated.)

And to follow up my own answer, it's possible it will try DHCP before
defaulting to a built in address. Setting it up on a DHCP server (your
router most likely) could fix the problem.

The best way is to use a reservation - where you specify on the router
that requests from a specified Ethernet address always get the specified
IP address.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk