[Virtualacorn-list] Where is VRPC DL?

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 09:52:56 BST 2017

In article
<e1f56d6fe174f9b65bbaba45916644b7 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk>,
   Jeremy Nicoll - ml VA
<jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> On 2017-09-27 14:16, John McCartney wrote:

> > Why do I need VRPC DL when I've already got a full
> > StrongARM Adjust running on the laptop? Of course, I
> > don't! I'll just install it on Windows 7 inside
> > Virtualbox and it will see all the hardware it expects
> > to see.

> It might not.  Virtualisation doesn't always present the
> same underlying hardware.

I think that the network hardware is the critical element.
We shall see...

> It can also depend (not necessarily for network cards,
> but in general) on the specific version of Virtualbox (or
> competing products) - free apps sometimes offer less
> access to underlying hardware than paid-for products.

> Also some virtualisation features (though I can't say
> which) depend on the real machine's processor having
> certain hardware features there to support eg access by
> the virtual machine to device drivers on the real machine.

Both my old desktop machine and the laptop have the
necessaries in the processor.

However, at the first hurdle, I've caught my foot. When I
tried to run Virtualbox for the first time (after setting
up various parameters but before installing Windows) it
generated an error.

I didn't have the energy to investigate it yesterday
evening and I shalln't look at it for a day or so while I
catch up with all the things I put on hold.

John

--
John McCartney
j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk