[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC RO 4.39 and 16 Million colours

Brian bbailey at argonet.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 08:28:17 BST 2017

In article <568177c5addave at triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk>
wrote:
> In article <4b78488156.Root at julianfry.orpheusnet.co.uk>, Julian Fry
>    <julianfry at orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 25 Sep 2017 Dave Symes  wrote:

[snip]

> To summarise for everyone:

> 1) I've been using VRPC-DL since May 2016. 128Mb Ram  RISC OS 6.20
> screen mode 1920 x 1080 C16M.

> 2) Yes "Others" have said it's a limit imposed by RISC OS 4.39 but
> that's questionable. (see 5)

> 4) VRPC-DL is supplied with RISC OS 4.02, it au-natural does sizeable
> screen modes in C16M.

> 5) She, at present is running VRPC-AdjustSA on a Win 7 PC. It *IS*
> running RISC OS 4.39 and her screen mode is 1360 x 760 C16M.

> 6) I'm beginning to wonder?

> 7) Yes I could easily update this VRPC-DL install to 6.20 but...

> I'm setting up this VRPC-DL to be a backup mirror on an SSD of her, all
> the time, every day In use RISC OS. So it really needs to stay as 4.39.

> 8) Maybe there's a later version of 4.39 than the RISC OS Select disk I
> have?

I'm intrigued, Dave.

As C16M seems to be important.

What you don't say is what monitor is being used and what RISC OS graphics
software your good lady is using.

Also, is your good lady printing out on the RISC OS side or possibly
submitting files to a n other? Or, indeed, printing out on the Win 7 side?
And, if so, is the printer calibrated? And, what paper is being used?

Equally, is any attempt at colour calibration of the monitor taking place
in any way? That might also compensate for the users eye sight
peculiarities (which I have certainly had to do). So far as I am aware
colour calibration isn't possible RISC OS side and would, I suppose, be
imposed via the Win 7 side. But prove me wrong if you will. 8-)

Any profiles being applied, perhaps?

As I use Win 7 for photography I am aware how horribly complicated colour
calibration is.

Just intrigued!

For the record, I do use RISC OS for graphics, but only black and white.
8-)

Cheers

Brian