[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC RO 4.39 and 16 Million colours

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 06:36:17 BST 2017

In article <4b78488156.Root at julianfry.orpheusnet.co.uk>,
   Julian Fry <julianfry at orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2017 Dave Symes  wrote:

> > Good day folks. I'm setting up a VRPC-DL for Fay and nothing I try
> > will get this (Naughty word) RISC OS 4.39 to do a sizeable C16M colour
> > screen mode (Always defaults to 800 x 600 C16M  which is a bit useless
> > for a Widescreen monitor).

> > Advice given on ...misc has been tried along with some fiddles of my
> > own, but it still fails to give a C16M screen display on a larger
> > screen mode (32K is the largest, aside from the pathetic 800 x 600
> > C16M).

> > On my VRPC-DL install (I have two paid for copies) I'm running RISC OS
> > 6.20 and using a larger screen mode in C16M  without any problems.

> > The one I'm using for her setup is a bit smaller and it fails to do
> > C16M.

> > I've also put into the 4.39 Monitor MDF the config used to give
> > me...1920x1080 in C16M on my RISC OS 6.20, but that also fails to
> > render in C16M under 4.39.

> Dave,

> As others have said I think the screen size limit is imposed by RISC
> OS 4.39. Have you thought of soft loading 6.xx? Not sure if this would
> be possible with your version of VRPC but it is what I do and use 1920
> x 1080 ay 16M.

> Cheers
> Julian Fry

Thank you for your thoughts Julian, but did you actually read my posting,
quoted above your reply?

To summarise for everyone:

1) I've been using VRPC-DL since May 2016.
128Mb Ram  RISC OS 6.20 screen mode 1920 x 1080 C16M.

2) Yes "Others" have said it's a limit imposed by RISC OS 4.39 but that's
questionable. (see 5)

4) VRPC-DL is supplied with RISC OS 4.02, it au-natural does sizeable
screen modes in C16M.

5) She, at present is running VRPC-AdjustSA on a Win 7 PC. It *IS* running
RISC OS 4.39 and her screen mode is 1360 x 760 C16M.

6) I'm beginning to wonder?

7) Yes I could easily update this VRPC-DL install to 6.20 but...

I'm setting up this VRPC-DL to be a backup mirror on an SSD of her, all
the time, every day In use RISC OS. So it really needs to stay as 4.39.

8) Maybe there's a later version of 4.39 than the RISC OS Select disk I
have?

Dave

--

Dave Triffid