[Virtualacorn-list] Avast Free freezes VRPC

Barry Punchard barry.punchard at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 27 07:52:31 GMT 2017

On 26 Nov          alan at adamshome.org.uk wrote:

> In message <a85e16a156.barry.punchard at barry.btinternet.com>
>           Barry Punchard <barry.punchard at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > <SNIP>

> > <SNIP>
> >>
> >> Judging by googling, this is an authorisation issue for a program
> >> requesting some sort of Direct3D (ie graphics) process.
> >>
> >> There are threads on the VA forum about these errors, which might shed
> >> some light.
> >> See eg:
> >> http://virtualacorn.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=463&st=0&sk=t&sd=
> >> a&sid=4aaed4a2644f0ed236b66fc8fc8cd822&start=0
> >>
> >> and threads mentioning DirectDraw.
>
> > I'll check that.

I've now checked and everything on that Forum thread I had already checked,
except Windows Aero which I use. Changing that made no difference two either
problem.

> >> Also is it happening at random moment, or on waking from hibernate, or
> >> when you change from VRPC in full screen mode to window mode, or recovering
> >> from  hibernate when previously in ful-screen mode?
> >>
> > It's often related to coming out of hibernation, can't remember if
> > that's when
> > left in full screen, window or minimised. I'll have to check.

Adding to above, - for me, always fails when VRPC was minimised before
hibernation, but not in either of the other two cases. The VA thread shows it
has varied from user to user. It has varied for me, too, on previous machines
and incarnations. Now in addition going into Windows Task Manager.

> It will quite reliably produce the "primary surface" problem when
> coming out of hibernation. I discussed this with Aaron many years ago
> when I was still uasing WindowsXP, and her said it was expected,
> because effectively the state of the PC had changed without VRPC being
> notified. I always run full screen, which is when this occurs.

OK, for me the opposite (as above) - at the moment!

> >> I used to find VRPC co-existed better with underlying Windows activity
> >> if it was not running full-screen, but instead in a window that was very
> >> nearly full-screen in size.

I always hibernate from near full screen. I set up a shortcut for hibernation
from full screen, but it doesn't seem to get sent to windows for execution if
VRPC has full screen.

--
   //__))arry //unchard        mailto:barry.punchard at btinternet.com

---