[Virtualacorn-list] Strange occasional error at start-up.

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Fri Nov 24 10:53:44 GMT 2017

On 23/11/17 19:05, Peter Young wrote:
> I have VRPC installations on two laptops, a RISCBook with Windows 7
> and a RISCBook Go with Windows 10. Either one will very occasionally
> throw up an error during start-up "Handle is either illegal or closed"
> followed by a number. After I clear that, start-up goes ahead, rather
> more slowly that usual, and the rest of the session goes without any
> problem. WimpLog doesn't record this error as it hasn't started by
> then.

It's pretty obvious from that, that it is something you are running at
!Boot occurring before WimpLog.

Have a look where you are starting !WimpLog, it's either from the
directory !Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks or the file
!Boot.Choices.Boot.Desktop. You either want to rename it so it comes
first in the directory (!!WimpLog) or move the lines earlier in the
Desktop file. That should then ensure it is running when the problem occurs.

If that doesn't finger the culprit, you'll have to eliminate 3rd party
stuff from you boot sequence until it goes away.

Cheers
---David

Email: druck at druck.org.uk
Phone: +44-(0)7974 108301