[Virtualacorn-list] VA won't start properly

Chris Newman cvjazz at waitrose.com
Thu Mar 2 22:13:16 GMT 2017

Hi folks,

I have a Lenovo laptop with 250 GB SSD. It runs Windows 10 & has VA 4.39 on a
partition. It came from RComp.

The SSD  failed & a local firm put in a new one in & reinstalled W10. The VA
stuff was saved.

VA exe doesn't always work. I have to click it several times to get something
to happen. (It has alays been a bit flaky).

Now, when it does work, it won't initialize correctly.

I get the Boot menu green screen with

1. Boot from ADFS harddrive
2  Boot from CD drive
W. Configure machine
X. Exit to desktop
Y. Exit to command line.

Also an error error message thus...

An error occurred during Boot
Incompatible host
Press any key to continue

I can exit to desktop but if I click on HardDisc4  I get
"Error when reading HostFS::HardDisc4.$ - Not Found

Apps opens & Edit,Interactive help & Alarm  load OK. Alarm is reading the
time correctly from the host machines clock.

!Configure  reports "You cannot reconfigure this machine" because obviously
it hasn't seen !Boot.

I can open the USB/Pen link & see the following folders.

<Recycle/Bin    /   System Volume 1 info....  /  Virtual Acorn

>From the Virtual Acorn I can open HardDisc4. I can even get some things
working eg !Organiser, !Ancestor+ etc  ie anything that doesn't need !Boot to
be seen.

So I know HardDisc4 is there & everything in it looks as it should be.

Help!

--
Chris