[Virtualacorn-list] RiscOS-MS file conversion

Bob Ardler ardler at argonet.co.uk
Sat Jun 3 11:00:30 BST 2017

Have had a long look (many thanks) at the kind advice:
(Crashed Fri, resendig Sat)
> Chris Newman: DrawWorks (free) from apdl.org.uk/isvproducts/dwxl.ht
Jeremy Nicoll: print as PDF with !PrintPDF; automate with !Keystroke Jim
Nagel: export as PDF from TechWriter + prev.
> John Leeming: Draw>Artworks>bitmaps>jpegs
> Mick Towse: Draw->WMF, or investigate export to SVG
> John McCartney: Draw>ArtWorks>PDF
> David Ruck: WMF poor, PDF best
> Stewart Goldwater: !XP1Dr2SVG for Draw>SVG
> David Ruck: SVG on Windows "dire outside CAD"
> Stewart Goldwater: Firefox seems to cope [with SVG]
> Dave Symes: PDF easiest; PCs' Aspex Draw accept RO Drawfiles;
> "InkScape" handles SVG files.
> Andy Marks: Aspex Draw needs unlock code, OakDraw doesn't;
> Xara(??) versatile but elusive.
> Dave Symes: OakDraw << Aspex Draw -- worth paying for to unlock
> Chris Newman: DrawWorks exports to: Sprite, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PNG, Adobe
Illustrator, SVG, PDF
> Dave Symes: DWorksXL mostly crashes DWorks when trying PDF output. Jim
Nagel: Oak Draw or Aspex Draw (with input from Silhouette Studio's Nick
Sanham) or TW to PDF.

Automating via !Keystroke looks good, but (being thick) need Summer hols
to learn how. Absent apps, tricks too new for old dog reduced choice to
Draw>TW>Word v Draw>TW>PDF. Draw>TW>Word>e-attach>school worked, but
Draw>TW>PDF refused to save 'cos "You need to initialise a PostScriptTM
printer driver by selecting it in !Printers.." -- ignored my yelling
"Tryanna SAVE not tryanna PRINT, yer clown". Don't have !Printers
-- just !Printers+, which doesn't have any ref to PostScript. (!GhostScr
lurks elsewhere & mentions conversion to PDF.)

So it's down to Draw>TW>Word. Despite rebukes from the TW/Icon ML, can't
find things in the TW/EW manualage, so have created landscape and
portrait Stationery files with tiny margins which require less or no
shrinkage of drawfiles when converting to Word.

Remaining puzzle: Attaching thingy/doc to an email automatically swaps
slash to dot. MS ignoramus, so don't know how to save thingy/doc onto a
memory stick for school use. Is drag'n'drop from RiscOS OK? But then what
to do at the other end? (Haven't even reached forDummies level with
Windows saving.)

Bob