[Virtualacorn-list] RiscOS-MS file conversion

Jeremy Nicoll - ml VA jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri Jun 2 00:28:55 BST 2017

On 2017-06-01 17:39, Bob Ardler wrote:

> ... but
> Draw>TW>PDF refused to save 'cos "You need to initialise a PostScriptTM
> printer driver by selecting it in !Printers.." -- ignored my yelling
> "Tryanna SAVE not tryanna PRINT, yer clown".

Printing, to any printer, means something has to generate a stream of
bytes which
when sent to that printer will make it print what you want.

Printing to a file merely saves that same set of bytes in a file.

To generate PS or PDF output using !Printers, whether you're going to
send the bytes
to a real printer, or put them in a file, you need to have a defined
PS/PDF printer
under the control of !Printers.

Any 'printer' defined within !Printers isn't a real printer; instead
it's a set of
definitions thta allow the !Printers software to generate the correct
sequence of
bytes.  So eg one could install a 'printer' for an Epson inkjet printer,
without
actually owning such a thing... or in your case, install a 'printer'
that will create
PS or PDF data.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own