[Virtualacorn-list] {Spam?} RISC OS Awards - was: Iyonix back then

Bob Ardler ardler at argonet.co.uk
Mon Apr 24 12:15:44 BST 2017

 On 21/02/2017 David Ruck  wrote:
[A helpful explanation of why RiscOS browsers can't cope with
javascripted websites.]

He concluded:
> Even if we had the programmers to port a browser, RISC OS just doesn't
> cut it. Even on the fastest ARM hardware, it can't take advantage of
> multiple processors, it can't take advantage of GPU acceleration, and
> the OS doesn't have the facilities required.

When he wrote, I was down with a chest infection, then doing catch-up
at work so couldn't say thanks for the clarification & thanks for taking
the time. Belated many-thanks DR herewith.

A further, related & equally ignorant question. For me, the GUI plus
familiar apps are what make RiscOS essential. I've heard that Linux
versions include (one or more?) RiscOSic GUIs, and that Linux matches
Windows and MacOS in power & versatility. Does that mean one could
switch to Linux and get the familiar GUI (with 3button mouse),
TechWriter, Drawetcalikes and full Web access? Or is Linux only for
hackers (in the CompSci-doctorate rather than pejorative sense)?
--
Bob