[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 and Access Rights

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Wed Feb 25 12:04:02 GMT 2015

In article <mpro.nkay6001r5wsc0280 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid> Jeremy
Nicoll - ml virtualacorn  wrote:
> Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> >But here's the really kicker, ALL the other folders (5+ top-level & many
> >sub-folders) on the drive are accessible without any intervention from me.
> >It's only the VRPC drive foders that it won't allow me to access.
> That maybe suggests they were set up by different methods, perhaps most by
> something running with admin auth, but the VRPC stuff by one or other of
> your RISC OS ordinary users.
One thing is certain, ALL the folders have been set up using /a/ RISC OS
administrator profile AND they will have been set up YEARS ago. This USB
drive has been plugged into at least 6 different PCs over its life & I know 4
of those ran VRPC. The first time I encountered this problem was last year,
when it was first plugged in to my new Windows 8 PC (the desktop).

I did, if course, do extensive searching online before I came here. W8
appears to have introduced security policies which rely on the physicality
(is that the right word?) of the drive. There are 3 possibilities: fixed,
removable media or external HDD.

The third can be treated as either fixed or removable, so you can specify
and/or create a policy for the external HDD. I won't go into details, but I
followed Micro$oft's support page instructions which confirmed the USB is
being seen as an external HDD. The instructions are clear on how to restrict
access, but not much else.

When I tried to create a policy following their instructions, they tell me to
select an option which is not there! I gave up at that point.

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

Bride: A woman with a fine prospect of happiness behind her