[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 and Access Rights

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Wed Feb 25 00:42:31 GMT 2015

Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

> I've no problem with security, but I'm sick of being told that I need an
> administrator's permission to delete a file (as RISC OS I am, of course,
> an admin'), so you click continue & it deletes it. So why ask me if you're
> going to do it anyway?

I assume the thinking is that it's reminding you that (for whatever reason
in its set of permissions etc) you're only allowed to do that action when
taking advantage of the extra privileges of the admin role.  That, if you
have the right attitude to the reminder, is an opportunity to reflect on
what you've just asked to do and decide if it's really what you want to do.

I know it seems daft on a PC, especially if you're the only physical user,
but it's not daft having to jump through hoops to do things if you're
working on a true multi-user (eg thousands of users) computer system.

IIRC when logged on as "an admin user" you're not actually allocated those
higher privileges yet but instead you're allowed to gain them without having
to prove (by password) who you are.  Contrast that with the similar prompt
if you're an ordinary user, where you can still do such things only if you
provide a password.

If you're repeatedly needing admin auth to delete a file that (??) implies
the file isn't owned by you.  Maybe it'd be worthwhile not going ahead with
a delete and finding out why it thinks that?  (I say that, but for all I
know it could be hard to understand why).