[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 and Access Rights

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Tue Feb 24 20:32:18 GMT 2015

In article <170a1e9b54.Alan.Adams at iyonix.adamshome.org.uk> Alan Adams  wrote:
> In message <549B195CF6%mik.towse at xemik.com>
>           Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> Can you see the folder? If so, you may need to take ownership in order
> to give yourself enough access to grant additional rights.
>
> It can get a bit tedious...
>
> Properties, Security Tab, Advanced, Owner tab. Change owner to one of
> the administrators. (You will need to be logged in ad one of them to
> do this). Click Edit, select a new owner. Tick "replace owner on
> subfolders and objects, Click OK.
Well, aside from not wanting to change the owner, I shouldn't need to, this
is more or less what I did on the Acer. But I shouldn't need to do this every
time I move the drive.

> Exit all the windows back to properties, and exit properties.
>
> Back into properties, security.
> Add permissions for the additional user. You will see, in the list of
> users, one at least identified by SID. That is a user from the other
> Windows system. Don't alter it.
I expected to see this, but it wasn't showing for the Acer user when the
drive was plugged back into the HP.

Perhaps the simplest solution is to Share the 2 VRPC drive folders. Would
this solve the problem?

I've no problem with security, but I'm sick of being told that I need an
administrator's permission to delete a file (as RISC OS I am, of course, an
admin'), so you click continue & it deletes it. So why ask me if you're going
to do it anyway?

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

The real objective of a committee is
not to reach a decision, but to avoid it.