[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 and Access Rights

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Tue Feb 24 19:57:13 GMT 2015

Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

>User on BOTH Windows computers is "RISC OS".

I think this is because they're two separate users, which just happen to
have the same name.

W8 knows that the disk was at one point owned by one of them, and knows that
the other same-named (but different internally) user is someone else.  It's
perfectly sensible from a security who-owns-what point of view; imagine if
you didn't want the data on the disk to be accessed by someone else, just by
them pretending to have your user name.

> So, I try settings the access rights again, but can't. Then Windows tells
> me I can't access the folder containing the drives AT ALL & that they are
> probably corrupted. Oh whoppee, Windows, thanks for that. (I have full
> backups, but they were done yesterday).

The corruption is odd; if Windows isn't going to let you access that disk it
certainly shouldn't have changed anything on it.

Are you sure you properly dismounted the drive from each system before
trying something on the other system?  (I can see it would be easy to forget
while getting exasperated).

> So the Question is... ...what do I have to do to the folders on E: to
> allow me to use them on either computer without all this Windows nonsense
> stopping me?

I don't know, but I can't imagine it's a problem unique to VRPC.  Maybe
googling knowing that the problem hinges on multiple users needing equal
access to the disk, rather than assuming it's the same user, would help?

Maybe you need to grant access to all users rather than specified ones -
though that may translate on machine X to "all users on machine X" which
will not help.