[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 and Access Rights

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Tue Feb 24 19:10:35 GMT 2015

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Back Story
I have 2 Windows 8 copies of VRPC. One on my main Desktop & the other I've
installed on my Laptop today.

All ROS HDDs live on a removable HDD, which is assigned E: on both systems.
So both computers VA.cfg file contains the same info (except the activation
code, obviously).

CMOS file is same on both computers.

The idea, which worked beautifully on WXP, is when I go away I unplug the HDD
from the Desktop & stick it in the laptop.

It all used to work seamlessly. That was until Windows 8 stuck its oar in.

User on BOTH Windows computers is "RISC OS".

Problem
Plug HDD in laptop. ROS booted, but with errors & I couldn't access
HardDisk5 at all. Ah, access rights issues, I figured. Ok, so I gave access
rights to RISC OS for both HDD folders. I did NOT transfer ownership.

ROS boots up, everything works fine. Cheers all round! :D

However...
...plug HDD back in Desktop, ROS won't boot - complains of access violation.
Can boot to Desktop, but can't access anything other than the Data dir'
(might be shared, but I can't remember). Hang on, the HDD was fine an hour
ago.

I try to access the folder in Windows, but it won't let me. ALL other folders
on the drive are accessible, though.

So, I try settings the access rights again, but can't. Then Windows tells me
I can't access the folder containing the drives AT ALL & that they are
probably corrupted. Oh whoppee, Windows, thanks for that. (I have full
backups, but they were done yesterday).

So, I reboot Windows in Repair Mode, which spends an age repairing Drive E:.
When it had finished & booted up, VRPC/ROS boots up fine.

So the Question is...
...what do I have to do to the folders on E: to allow me to use them on
either computer without all this Windows nonsense stopping me?

TIA
--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

If it wasn't for C, we would be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL!