[Virtualacorn-list] Mouse nightmare

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 23:21:32 GMT 2014

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> Vince M Hudd <vince at softrock.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

> > Why would that be easier when the options are there, in VRPC?

> I suppose two reasons:

> a) whatever you configured in VRPC hasn't worked properly

Hindsight versus the perfectly reasonable expectation that a provided option
will do what it's supposed to. The expectation is always going to win out in
that situation, because you don't benefit from hindsight until later.

> b) because doing it in the host OS makes the remapped key available for
>    other apps too.

There's a perfectly good button to use to call up a menu just below the
keypad for apps in the host OS - the right button on the touchpad - so I've
never needed to use another key for menus on the laptop.

(Which, plainly, is why the laptop keyboard lacks one - something that I'd
simply never considered. Until now. More hindsight.)

> > (Also, if I'm doing anything that needs precision in such a situation, I
> > suspect I'd find the touchpad more practical than a mouse being used on
> > a trouser leg.

> Well, you might. I loathe touchpads and never use them unless the mouse
> has suddenly flattened its battery.  Bear in mind the mouse-on-leg can
> work on the side of your leg, a surface that's not likely to be in use for
> much else.

I don't see how that addresses my point about precision.

And, anyway, as things are, if I bothered with a small mouse I would still
be using it on my leg with the buttons set wrongly - which means I wouldn't
need to use the mouse because the right touch pad button is currently
calling up a menu.

Suggestions as to what I *could have done* if I'd known this would go wrong
aren't particularly useful - and, if anything, are simply distracting from
the actual problem. Sorry. :(

--
Vince M Hudd, Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk

The RISC OS Awards & Survey results: www.riscosawards.co.uk