[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC being sluggish.

Peter Young pnyoung at ormail.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 18:34:59 GMT 2014

On 21 Mar 2014  "T.O.M.S." <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

> Hello folks

> On Fri Mar 21 12:15:12 GMT 2014, Barry Punchard barry.punchard at
> btinternet.com  sayeth:

>> I regularly have 3 occurrences of 'Red Squirrel Tools' displayed
>> amongst the Module Tasks of Task Display. Is that likely to
>> cause a delay? Are they necessary? If not, how do I stop the
>> other two being launched? Is that what you meant?

>> I sometimes get the delays others report, but they eventually
>> clear without any action on my part, even when tere are 3 RSTs.

> Cor, this is a *very* long-running thread - 9 years and still
> counting!

> The consensus (including the 'official' advice from Aaron) seems to be
> either to *RMKill all but one instance of RSTools or, arguably better
> still, press <F12>, type *unplug RSTools and press <Enter>.

> This seems to apply to various features, activities and probs, e.g.
> CallWin32, the stuttering mouse and the scroll wheel.

> We've *unplugged RSTools on all our business/domestic machines
> including the battery-driven netbook (total 8), seemingly with no
> adverse reactions.

I've just had an alarming experience! I ran VRPC and looked for
RSTools, which was indeed there, and Unplugged it. This totally
stiffed VRPC, and I had to close it from Windows. However, when I ran
it again all seemed well, and Verma showed RSTools as indeed
unplugged.

I now have some conflicting advice, as whether to have it unplugged,
or to have one copy running. What does it do, anyway? Google hasn't
been helpful.

For the meanwhile I'll follow Alex's advice and leave it unplugged,
i=unless anyone tells me not to, or unless untoward things happen.

In the meanwhile, changing Processor Priority seems to have speeded up
things satisfactorily.

[snip]

Best wishes,

Peter.