[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC being sluggish.

Peter Young pnyoung at ormail.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 16:13:07 GMT 2014

On 16 Mar 2014  Mike Hobbs <mike at greengenie.plus.com> wrote:

> In message <6d1676e953.pnyoung at pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>
>           Peter Young <pnyoung at ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>> This is with VRPC-SE on a Windows XP laptop (yes, I know!).

>> Recently, when away from home, and today when I had a transient
>> problem with my main ARMini machine, I've been using VRPC as my main
>> computer for e-mailing. I've found a lot of time that the response to
>> the keyboard is very slow, and sometimes a relatively high proportion
>> of keystrokes don't get registered. There's also sometimes a sluggish
>> response to menu clicks.

>> I'm sure that somewhere there's a way of allocating how much of the
>> Windows processor time can be allocated to VRPC. I promise that I did
>> RTFM, but couldn't find any reference to this. If anyone can point me
>> in the right direction I would be very grateful.

> The configuration parameters in VA.cfg are:
> ProcessorPriority = 3
> UIPriority = 3
> (the values are the way my desktop machines are set)

Many thanks for this, and for the replies from Alan and Alex. No time
at present to explore the other points made, but setting Process
Priority to 3 (it was 0) has made a dramatic difference in the typing
being rendered correctly. I'll look into the other suggestions when I
have rather more time Very time-consuming, this business of being
retired :-)

> However, my experience is that these values make little difference
> because typically the issue is that it is disk i/o that causes VRPC to
> miss keypresses and respond sluggishly.  My older XP machines that
> are not used much spend many minutes, or even hours in an unusable
> state after power on because the anti-virus software does a scan and
> the disk i/o prevents VRPC from doing anything. Tweaking the priority
> settings does not help.

It did here!

Best wishes,

Peter.