[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC Suddenly Become Very Slow

alan at thelaith.com alan at thelaith.com
Mon Jul 21 18:12:07 BST 2014

Quoting Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com>:

> In article <mpro.n92br9007est201xk at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>
> Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn  wrote:
>
>> Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> > Hadn't checked since the screen size appears to be exactly as I expect.
>> Screen size is irrelevant; it's the "refresh rate" that I was talking
>> about.
>>
>> >Checking now shows: Windows is set to 1680 x 1050 (Recommended).
>>
>> >VRPC is set to 1440 x 900 (60Hz)
>> You might find thiungs better at, say, 30 Hz.  There's a virtual MDF tool
>> in Boot -> COnfigure -> Display Settings (or something like that) that lets
>> you invent an MDF entry with arbitrary values; long ago I made on with a
>> 30Hz refresh rate for my VRPC laptop system.
> I'll try that, but for the most part, since my last post the VRPC has been
> running well. Fps has remained at around 57-61, but the Mips is all over the
> place. Regularly dropping to 4 (or 2.6 as I type), then shooting to 250, drop
> to 150, before hitting 4 again.
>
> When VRPC starts up it's showing 600Mips until it's done. Yesterday, it would
> drop to 4 almost immediately, but today it hung around 400 for a few
> minutes, then went to 4.
>
> There's clearly something wrong, but I don't know what. Typing this message
> had the system dropping the odd character. Perhaps only 5 in the whole
> message, but still 'stop-start' STS.
>
> So does Fps have the most impact on VRPC responce compared than Mips & Sys?
>
> I can't remember where I should look to check VRPC priority in Windows, but
> could this make a difference?

I haven't contributed to this before as my Windows knowledge is
minimal but I have had the same symptoms over the same period, low
mips, etc. and now back to normal.

VRPC Adjust on hard disc Drive E.

Looked at several of the T.O.M.S. Suggestions without doing anything,
after which it went back to normal. Also checked the effect of other
programs starting before or after VRPC but that seemed to make no
difference.

Most odd.