[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC Suddenly Become Very Slow

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Sun Jul 20 17:58:03 BST 2014

On Sat Jul 19 15:14:42 BST 2014, Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
sayeth:

> After a power cut earlier today ... VPRC is
> running very slowly. Mouse pointer jerks around screen
> & text import lags.

> So I assume Windows 8.1 is crippling VRPC, but why?
> And how do I fix it?

Sorry I haven't got an answer Mike, but here's a few things you might
like to check, in some sort of order (and in the hope it isn't telling
you how to suck eggs):

-  Is Windows running at normal speeds?

-  Is the hard disc activity much more than usual?

-  If you press the dreaded <Ctrl-Alt-Delete>, click on the
<Processes> tab, then click on the <CPU> tab (repeat if necessary)
until the top line reads System Idle Process, is the reading in the
high-nineties? (97-99%-ish.)

-  If not, what other process(es) are eating into the ooomph?
(Technical phrase.)

-  With VirtualRPC in a window, click on Tools-Options and select the
<General> tab. Does the processor speed readout match your computer
processor? If not, select <Manual> and enter the speed manually. Any
better?

-  Do you normally run VirtualRPC in a window? If yes, select
full-screen mode. Any better?

-  Do you have a back-up *default* installation of VirtualRPC on the
hard disc? If so, close down the normal VirtualRPC, start up the
back-up copy and see if it's any better.

-  If not, you might like to install a fresh, default copy of
VirtualRPC *somewhere else on the hard disc*. To do that, start the
normal installation process from the master disc. When you get to the
page saying "VirtualRPC-xxx's files will be installed in the following
directory:", change the default installation address (C:\Program
Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-xxx) to something else, of your
choosing, e.g "C:\Program Files\VirtualAcorn\Back-up", and continue.

-  Once done, close down your normal copy of VirtualRPC, then
double-click on the *new* VirtualRPC icon on the Windows iconbar to
start it. Check that it does indeed give you a paint-fresh, default
copy.

-  Any performance improvement?

HTH, regards

Alex Hamilton